Who says you can’t cook a gourmet seafood meal in the air fryer? I’ve never actually heard anyone question that, it just sounded like a good way to introduce this air fryer halibut recipe. But to answer my own question, you can totally use the air fryer to cook a gourmet seafood meal. With the help of a few spices, some fresh herbs, and citrus; this halibut & golden raisin chimichurri recipe is sure to impress.Jump to Recipe
“There’s nothing fishy about cooking halibut in the air fryer”-captain butt-whacker
Why Air Fry Halibut?
Why? Well, first of all air frying halibut is a healthier alternative to traditional frying methods, because it requires little to no oil. The only oil we use to cook these halibut fillets is from the marinate, that’s enough for the air fryer.
Secondly, this herby, zesty, air fryer, halibut recipe is super quick and so damn simple. It’ll take you longer to wash your dirty dishes than it will to cook these air fryer halibut fillets. Assuming you don’t lick the plates clean. Around 8-10 minutes.
Oh, and if you’re in the market for an air fryer, we think these CHEFMAN multifunction air fryers with the glass door is just the coolest!
Air Fryer Halibut Recipe
Ingredients for Air Fryer Halibut
Here’s a list of the ingredients you’ll need in order to make this air fryer halibut, and a list for the golden raisin chimichurri. We’re cooking for two, so adjust your ingredient quantity as needed.
Air Fryer Halibut Ingredients:
- Halibut: Two 6-8oz fillets, skin on. Store bought is great, or go catch your own in Alaska!
- Lemon: Lemon juice for the marinate and lemon zest for our garnish. It is a “zesty air fryer halibut recipe” after all!
- Herbs: Same with the citrus, fresh herbs for the marinade and the garnish.
- Salt & Pepper: Season those air fryer halibut fillets. A little flakey sea salt is always a nice finishing touch.
- Olive oil: For the marinade.
- Golden raisins: Chef Aaron Brooks in Miami did a golden raisin chimichurri with lamb leg, the sweet raisins are a welcomed dimension to an other wise fairly traditional chimichurri. If you want to learn more about the chef that inspired this recipe, read this Bon Appetit article.
- Oregano: Preferably fresh, but dried works in a pinch. Just make sure the rest of the herbs you are using are fresh.
- Lemon Juice: Between the air fryer halibut marinade and this chimichurri sauce, you’ll probably need two fresh lemons.
- Parsley: Half a bushel of fresh flat leaf parsley.
- Thyme: Fresh Thyme leaves.
- Garlic: Four large garlic cloves, minced.
- Citrus Champagne vinegar: We’re really throwing down on the citrus theme here. It really brightens up this chimichurri and makes the entire dish pop. We use “O citrus Champagne Vinegar“.
- Jalapeño: One small, stemmed, & de-seeded jalapeño adds a nice layer to the chimichurri. Omit if you’re scared of spice, and don’t let the door hit your ass on the way out!
- Olive Oil: For this air fryer halibut recipe, you’ll need half a cup good extra virgin olive oil.
How To Make Golden Raisen Chimichurri
Follow these step by step instructions to make this golden raisin chimichurri recipe.
Step 1: Soak the Raisins
Add the golden raisins and one tablespoon of olive oil to a small bowl. Pour boiling hot water over them and stir. Soak for 20 minutes or so.
Step 2: Combine & Pulse
Meanwhile, roughly chop your fresh herbs and toss them into a food processor. Add the citrus vinegar, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, and jalapeño. Pulse to combine. Taste and season with salt and pepper, accordingly.
Be sure not to just throw the hammer down and blend it into a smooth paste, it should be somewhat of a rough texture.
*If you don’t have a food processor, or you’re a masochist, you can chop and mince everything by hand.
Step 3: Store & Set Aside
Pour the finished chimichurri into an airtight container, such as a mason jar. For the best tasting golden rasin chimichurri let it rest overnight in the fridge before using.
But this is an air fryer halibut recipe, which insinuates a quick meal, and it is. It’s fine to use right after preparing, it’ll still taste great.
How to Make Air Fryer Halibut
Follow these step by step instructions to make this Air Fryer Halibut recipe.
Step 1: Prepare the Halibut
Generously season the air fryer halibut fillets with salt and pepper.
If you have time, create a marinate for your air fryer halibut in the morning and let it soak all day. If you aren’t blessed with time, soak the fillets for at least 20 minutes before air frying.
Simply add lemon juice, olive oil, salt, pepper, and fresh oregano and thyme to a zip lock bag or tupperware container and let your halibut take one final swim in the citrusy marinate.
Step 2: Air Fry the Halibut
Place the marinated halibut fillets in the air fryer basket in a single layer, making sure they are not overlapping. You don’t need to add any oil, the olive oil from the marinate is enough.
Cook the halibut at 370°F for 8-10 minutes, depending on the thickness of the fillets. Properly cooked air fryer halibut should be opaque and easy to flake with a fork.
Step 3: Garnish & Serve
Once the halibut is perfectly cooked, remove it from the air fryer and carefully remove the skin. Then transfer it to a serving plate on a bed of the golden raisin chimichurri. Garnish with lemon zest, finely chopped fresh herbs, and flakey sea salt.
Serve immediately and enjoy!
Air Fryer Halibut FAQ’s
Yes, you can absolutly cook frozen halibut in an air fryer. It will just take a few minutes longer to cook.
No, don’t bother flipping your halibut when you’re cooking it in the air fryer. It does a good job of cooking fish evenly, and if you leave the skin on it won’t burn the bottom of the fillet. Halibut is a delicate fish and you run a good chance of having it fall apart if you handle it too much.
Yes, you can use a light batter or breading for air fryer halibut. Just, keep in mind that air fryers work best with a thin layer of coating.
More Air Fryer Recipes
If you enjoyed this air fryer halibut recipe and need some more air fryer ideas, look no further! We have some other great recipes that are super simple and tasty.
Check em out and let us know what you think. Happy air frying and we hope you enjoy our air fryer frozen chicken wing recipe.
Air Fryer Endorsement
I won’t lie, I fought the air fryer movement. I didn’t want another big ass kitchen appliance taking up space in my 700 square foot apartment. Then one year I was gifted one for Christmas.
That was the year I stopped exchanging gifts. But it was also the year I started cooking with the air fryer. And I must say, (in a very scroogey tone) they’re pretty great.
I had to make my cat an outdoor pet to find space for it, but I am formally endorsing the air fryer. These air fryer sweet potato wedges are a great representation of why the air fryer is so great.
Because you only need to add a little oil, the air fryer is much healthier than traditional deep frying. it won’t overheat your home on a warm day, it cooks everything in a flash, and is super easy to clean.
The main knock on it being, and I know whiskers agrees with me, is the size. It’s like having a fat Yoda live on your countertop.